Taxonomic structure and ecological analysis of plant cover of the alpine-subalpine landscapes of the Karabakh natural subregion (Lesser Caucasus). E.F. Yusifov.
Research article: Taxonomic structure and ecological analysis of plant cover of the alpine-subalpine landscapes of the Karabakh natural subregion (Lesser Caucasus).
Author (s) E.F. Yusifov.
Journal of Life Sciences & Biomedicine, vol. 3(76), No 2, p. 41-48 (2021)
Institute of Dendrology, Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, 89 S.Yesenin, Baku AZ 1044, Azerbaijan
For correspondence: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received: September 29, 2021; Received in revised form: October 18, 2021; Accepted: October 21, 2021
The orographic elements, vegetation cover of the alpine-subalpine zone, its taxonomic structure, and endemism of the Karabakh natural subregion were investigated. A total of 608 plant species (14% of Azerbaijan flora) belonging to 65 families and 253 genera are identified in the region. Of them, 353 species are wide areal plants, 255 are endemic species with different distribution statuses. Asteraceae (79), Poaceae (41), Lamiaceae (32), Fabaceae (31), Rosaceae (30), Caryophyllaceae (28), Ranunculaceae (23), Brassicaceae (21), Apiaceae (25) found in the region are dominant families. The 18 genera found in the area are sensitive and are represented by only one species in the flora of the region. Asteraceae (67), Fabaceae (18), Apiaceae (18), Caryophyllaceae (17), Lamiaceae (14), Ranunculaceae (14), Brassicaceae (21) are dominant endemic families. Among the endemic species, 13 are local endemic species native to Transcaucasus.
Keywords: Karabakh natural subregion, biodiversity, alpine-subalpine landscapes, endemism, sensitive species
1. Aslanova Y. (2018) Floristic analysis of rocky and sedimentary vegetation of the Goy-Gol region. Nakhchivan State University. Scientific Works, 7 (96): 93-96.
2. Republic of Azerbaijan. National Atlas (2014) State Committee for Cartography. Baku: BKF, 444 p., p. 270.
3. Alizade E.K., Mikailov A.A., Ismailov M.S., Gulieva S.Yu., Kuchinskaya I.Yu., Karimova E.S., Gamidova Z.A. (2017) Republic of Azerbaijan. Landscape map. 1: 600,000. Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources. Baku: BKF.
4. Askerov A. (2014) Subendems of the flora of Azerbaijan. News of ANAS (biological and medical sciences), 69 (1): 81-91.
5. Askerov A. (2015) Higher plants of Azerbaijan, in 3 volumes. Baku: Elm.
6. Askerov A. (2016) Flora of Azerbaijan. Baku: TEAS Press, 444 p.
7. Gadzhiev V.Ch. (2004) Ecosystem of alpine vegetation of Azerbaijan. Baku: Elm, 132 p.
8. Ibadullaeva S.Ch., Askerova A.A. (2015) Bioecological features of some geophytes common in the Lesser Caucasus. Scientific works of the Institute of Botany of ANAS, XXXV: 63-68.
9. Mamedov G. (ed.) (2014) Republic of Azerbaijan. National Atlas. State Committee for Cartography. Baku: Baku Cartographic Factory, 444 p., p. 197
10. Mamedov R.M. (ed.) (2015) Geography of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Regional geography. Baku: Europe, Volume III: p. 82.
11. Mamedov R.M. (ed.) (2015) Geography of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Regional geography. Baku: Europe, Volume III: p. 193.
12. Askerov A.M. (2014) Analysis of the endemic flora of Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences Report, LXX (1): c. 1-6.
13. Brodsky A.K. (2016) Biodiversity: structure, problems and prospects for conservation. Aspects of biodiversity. Proceedings of the Zoological Museum of Moscow State University, 54 (1): 381-396. https://www.cbd.int/doc/nbsap/rbsap/peblds-rbsap.pdf
14. Grossgeim A.A. (1939-1961) Flora of the Caucasus. In 10 volumes. Baku: EAAzF.
15. Komarov V.L. (1934-1960) Flora of the USSR. All volumes: http://uipmgu.ru/catalog/item80.html
16. Murtazaliev R.A. (2012) Analysis of the endemic flora of the Eastern Caucasus and features of their distribution. Bulletin of the Dagestan Scientific Center, 747: 81–85.
17. Museybov M.A. (2003) Landscape of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Baku: Baku State University, 137 p., p. 51.
18. Tatanov I.V., Shvanova V.V. (2013) Abstract "Flora of the Caucasus: preliminary results of the inventory of the Caucasian flora". The role of botanical gardens in the conservation of plant diversity: Mat. Anniversary. International. scientific practice conf., dedication. 100 years of Batumi. nerd. sad. Georgia: Batumi. Part 2: Diversity of flora and vegetation, plant breeding, plant protection. with. 145–148; https://www.binran.ru/ resources/information-resources/current-projects/Caucasian-flora/contentkav/vvod.php
19. Shulkina T., Solomon J. (2014) Regional review. In: Red List of Endemic Plants of the Caucasus: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Russia and Turkey (edited by J. Solomon, T. Shulkina, G.E. Schatz). St. Louis: Missouri Botanical Garden Press, p. 1-36.
20. Zazanashvili N., Gagnidze R., Nakhutsrishvili G. (2000) Main types of vegetation zoning in the Caucasus Mountains. Acta Phytogeographica Suecica, 85:7-16.